Matt Lauer Breaks His Silence After NBC Firing for Alleged Sexual Harassment

Matt Lauer has broken his silence one day after being fired from NBC amid sexual harassment allegations against him.

Lauer’s former colleague Savannah Guthrie read the statement during the Today show on Thursday, November 30.

“There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC. Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed,” Lauer, 59, said in a statement. “I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.”

“Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job,” he continued. “The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.”

As previously reported, the veteran journalist was terminated from the network after a colleague accused him of sexual misconduct in the workplace. Guthrie and Hoda Kotb delivered the news during the Wednesday program and revealed that NBC News Chairman Andy Lack sent an email to employees just moments before they went live on air.

Lack said in his memo that he believes “this may not have been an isolated incident” and that he was “deeply saddened by this turn of events.”

Ads

You May Also Like

‘Ocean’s 8’ first trailer will steal your attention

Sisters are doing it for themselves in “Ocean’s 8.” The first full trailer for ...

Twins determined in pursuit of Darvish

Club stays patient as free-agent pitching market develops MINNEAPOLIS — As the Rule 5 Draft came ...

Kanye West Files $10 Million Lawsuit Over Canceled Saint Pablo Tour

Kanye West and his touring company have filed a $10 million lawsuit against Saint Pablo ...

Cristiano Ronaldo rinde homenaje a un niño que murió en el terremoto de México

Los desastres naturales que azotaron al Caribe y México recientemente han generado que celebridades ...

“Siempre lo soñé”: Yerry Mina sobre su llegada al Barcelona.

El defensor colombiano aseguró que arriba al “mejor equipo del mundo” y que buscará ...

Tiger Woods Speaks Out After His DUI Toxicology Report Is Made Public

Tiger Woods had five different drugs in his system at the time of his DUI arrest on ...